How to become a driving instructor
There’s never been a better time to be a driving instructor! Business is booming for driving schools and driving instructors are in high demand. Generally, most new driving instructors will take at least 3 months to complete the required qualifications.
To be approved as a professional driving instructor you must first have all the necessary accreditation and licences, before you can teach someone for money. By law “person who receives money, or any other reward for teaching you to drive, must hold a valid driving instructor licence, and must display their licence in the cabin of the vehicle”.
You can apply for a driving instructor licence if you are 21 years of age, hold a full drivers licence and completed an approved course in driving instruction.
Steps to become a driving instructor
If you wish to become a driving instructor, work for yourself and own your own driving school we advise you to first;
- Get your finances in order!
- Find out how much savings you have and how much will you need to borrow.
- Create a business plan.
- Research competition and other driving schools in the local area. https://maps.google.com
- Determine a kick ass name for your driving school. How to name your business
- Buy a domain name. http://godaddy.com (A country code top-level domain (ccTLD) is best.
Eg: mydrivingschool.com.au, mydrivingschool.co.nz, mydrivingschool.ca,
mydrivingschool.co.uk, mydrivingschool.ie mydrivingschool.fr etc
- Sole trader or Company? Speak to an accountant to find out whats best for you.
- Start researching new or second hand cars to buy
In order to safeguard the professionalism and standards of driving instruction, a strict application process must be followed. The process looks like this:
- Documents and checks
- Tests (theory and practical)
- Letter of eligibility
- Driving Instructor training course
- Regulator Final Assessment
How much does it cost to become a driving instructor?
The main cost to become a driving instructor is;
- buying a car to teach in and fitting it out with dual controls. (Say $25k)
- Create a website for your driving school (Under $1k)
- Application process say ($5k) Varies different countries/state.
- You should be able to start you own driving school for roughly $30k
How much can I earn as a driving instructor?
- Recommended driving lesson charge $65 per hour
- Good instructors are booked out 5 weeks in advance
- $65 our hour x 8 hours x 5 days per week = $2600 per week
- Earn $10,400 per month (based on the figures above)
- Earn $124,800 per year (based on the figures above)
If your ready to take the plunge contact your state motor vehicle registry and start the application process today!